Well, I didn’t end up getting Aaron’s sweater done before he left on his big guys’ trip, but I did manage to finish his hat.

I ended up doing a lot more knitting on this hat than was necessary.  I knit the whole thing according to the pattern then gave it to him to try on, which is when we found that his head was 3 inches bigger than the head size in the pattern.  So I ripped it all out.  Then I knit it again, this time modifying the pattern to accommodate his big head size, but I wasn’t quite sure how tall to knit it before decreasing and also how to add in the extra decreases caused by the extra cast on stitches.  So I winged it, modifying as I went the best I could and hoping for the best.  I had to rip out half the hat again and redo the decreases after it ended up looking like a hat for a conehead, but I eventually did get it all figured out.  I sewed in the brim piece (which was super fiddly) in time for our anniversary last week, two days before he left.

I knit like a madwoman on his sweater right up until he left but still wasn’t able to get it done.  I think I would have been able to finish if I would not have had to rip out the sleeves, twice.  I’m using Cascade 220, which has a slightly smaller gauge than the yarn called for in the pattern, plus I’m making some length and width modifications, so I’m having to do a lot of calculations and pattern adjustments.  That makes for a lot more chances to screw up, which I’ve done a couple of time.  Everything’s going fine now and I’ve finished the sleeves and today I joined them to the body piece.  Only about a ball and a half of knitting left to go.

Hat details:
Pattern:  Half-pipe hat (Ravelry link)
Yarn:  Cascade 220 in 9459 Yakima Heather (about half a ball) and 7824 Burnt Orange for trim

Advertisements